Welcome to the world of shopping vintage online. In the world of secondhand shopping this is the part where the phrase, “One person’s trash is another person’s treasure” rings particularly true. I have been absolutely amazed at what people are selling. From the very high end with vintage Chanel coats to classic Judith Leiber belts. I will say that vintage shopping online does require a bit of patience. A bit of detective work as well.
Here are some tips for a successful vintage purchase online:
- Know your measurements. Get a tape measure and write down your shoulder width, arm length, waist, and inseam. Sizing for vintage pieces are all over the place so do not rely on the words “medium” or “large.”
- Do a little research about the brand. Designer brands change creative directors every few years and some years the pieces are worth more than others. For example, a Phoebe Philo Celine bag is worth more than when Michael Kors was at the helm.
- Do not hesitate to ask questions. Message the seller or site and inquire about the piece you are interested in with any questions you may have.
- Look at the fabrics. I generally make sure that the item is almost entirely of organically occurring fabrics (linen, silk, cotton, or wool). These fabrics are longevity to them that man-made fabrics do not.
- Have fun. I love browsing vintage pieces online because it teaches me about fashion in a way that our modern online storefronts cannot.
Okay, let’s get started.
How to find vintage pieces:
- When you go to the brands page look on the left hand side and you will see “Vintage” as a box you can check.
- Check the “Vintage” box and it will automatically filter.
Burberry: The trench coats from this brand are legendary and buying vintage is the way to go.
Celine: Vintage Celine bags are beautiful and honestly much more affordable than newer Celine bags.
Christian Dior: Blazers from this storied designer is what I look for when shopping vintage.
The Best Online Marketplaces:
The Level Store: Handpicked vintage pieces from France at a very wallet friendly price. Each week there are new pieces you can get a first look at by signing up for their emails. I particularly love the blazers, knits, and accessories.
Arcade Shop: A New York based vintage co-op that sells the most incredible vintage pieces you’ll ever see. The jewelry selection is full of unique and swoon worthy pieces. I really cannot narrow what you should look at in particular. The whole site is note worthy.
Shop Thrilling: An online marketplace with pieces from the best vintage stores across the country. The outerwear selection is outstanding. Finding an affordable leather fringe coat is almost impossible, but here you go. Need a classic Ralph Lauren blazer? You can find it here. I spend more time than I’d like to comment on this vintage site.
Find By Foxes: A UK based vintage shop that specializes in plus size pieces. The owner is brilliant in finding unique pieces and giving styling tips.